Sunday 3 April 2011

On One Win and Two Losses and Little Happiness

Right, I decided it's time to come out of my hiding.

Not that I was hiding in any case though, I mean come on, can you imagine me as a gigantic milksop becoming a recluse just because first the Saffers slaughtered themselves and then the Stanis crashed out too? Of course not.

I quite fancied the opportunity of spewing so many emotional tirades out here, but didn't have time for that. So instead I passed the week feeling like some really rotten egg. But now I have to talk about three things, here we go.

On India's Win Yesterday

I felt like a snotty curmudgeon.
But then those Indian players were such jolly nice fellows for dedicating this Cup to Sachin in their emotional outpourings and gustos, because then I could picture the more endearing reality of Sachin being the sole reason for India's win and Sachin floating around the stadium like a winged Cupid spreading love and goodness and all was well for me.

Plus, I could smugly think how South Africa has been the only team in the tournament to have beaten India, the WC champs, which makes us kind of better than the champs.

Plus, Gary Kirsten was Sachin's sidekick in winning the tournament and he's South African. We're absolutely getting him as our coach now, oh yes.

Plus, I grudgingly have to admit India were quite good. And because of the nice Indian people I know this win has slightly become more bearable. (But you really haven't, Harbhajan Singh.)

On Pakistan's Loss That Day

Why the hell didn't you take the Powerplay? Why the hell didn't you take the Powerplay? Why the hell didn't you take the Powerplay? Why the hell didn't you take the Powerplay?
Why the hell didn't you take the Powerplay? Why the hell didn't you take the Powerplay?
Who and what the hell do I believe? Rehman Malik, the people, stupid decisions?

On South Africa's Loss the Other Day

It went like this:
"Aaaah, we're winning this. Yes, 220, I'll take that, I'll take that....oh, Hash's gone..good work Biff and Jakes..NOoo...go, go AB....SHIT...I hate you for all eternity Faf...please, please, please, Botes and Peterson, I implore you..do BAT...another gone..noo...they're losing this...no they aren't....yes they are....shut up they aren't...YOU SHUT UP THEY ARE...and why am I watching this in a friggin hotel room where I can't even break the television? Damn, they've lost....right, hold back your tears Sunny, hold them back...there's other folks in the room..manoevre your way carefully out...go straight to the bathroom...now you can...WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAVE TO HAPPEN?"

But as usual, I forgave them.

And at the End

The World Cup is over, finally.
Bring on a 90-match torture of IPLling I say. YES.

Sachin Tendulkar- like King Arthur, Merlin the Wizard and a nice Hobbit.
So more like a fairytale character than a cricketer.
Ps- First comic will be coming out soon..and it's about the World Cup...

11 comments:

Amit said...

And Gary becomes the only South African to win the world cup..

and i know my country men well.. none would play well in IPL.. so its upto AB De Villiers to catapault soem IPL fun.. :)

Anonymous said...

You have been quiet, but it's nice to see you back. And at least the Stanis made it further than we did but what happened to the Saffas!! There is some mirth in knowing that we wiped the floor with the team that knocked them out, though.

'twas a funny old world cup.

Leela said...

The Ind-Pak game was an exhibition in poor cricket. We were watching the replay here with a few friends and couldn't believe how many times the Pak players did not convert 1s into 2s.
And Sachin was sheesh!

I thought after the Nagpur game, the Saffas wud've forgotton the c-word... but.

But, like Amit said, at least Gary now knows that winnin' feeling!

Stani Army said...

Would we have to pay for the comic? Even me?

tracerbullet007 said...

As for Pakistan, the powerplay was not the only focal point in what went wrong...the number of chances that went abegging when Sachin was batting...
Of all the people in the world you give five chances to, who chooses Sachin??

sunny said...

Gary had two other South African sidekicks as well I hear, so we are progressing. Our team next hopefully.
Hmmm..no Indian national team players will play in the IPL? I don't know Amit, about the first half I'd think not, but for the second I expect them to return. And may AB indeed create some amazing amazing fireworks but not break his back in the process.

sunny said...

You're right Sid, 90 percent wouldn't even have imagined the Stanis would have topped the group. As for the Saffas...it's an old problem. I'm hardly ever able to address what happened to them and I'm not going to mention *that* word.

The Stanis have never been a very athletic bunch Leela. The fielding was even crappier than the running.
And it's never going to be easy to forget that c-word if the media has made it its business to nag the team constantly with it. Only a big tournament win might put an end to that.

sunny said...

Did I mention paying for the comic somewhere Stani? You can of course if you want to. :P

Of course plenty of things decide the result of a match, but I felt Pakistan were always in with a chance until Razzaq and Afridi went without having taken the PP.
As for the dropped catches..the Stanis might have been thinking they'd do Sachin an honour letting him score his hundredth ton against them.

Stani Army said...

...I was just feeling charitable Sunny :)

Unknown said...

watch Here... PSL t20 15th match Peshawar zalmi vs Lahore Qalandars Live Streaming
watch Here... PSL t20 15th match Peshawar zalmi vs Lahore Qalandars Live Streaming
watch Here... PSL t20 15th match Peshawar zalmi vs Lahore Qalandars Live Streaming
watch Here... PSL t20 15th match Peshawar zalmi vs Lahore Qalandars Live Streaming

Unknown said...

watch Here... PSL t20 15th match Peshawar zalmi vs Lahore Qalandars Live Streaming
watch Here... PSL t20 15th match Peshawar zalmi vs Lahore Qalandars Live Streaming