Tuesday 22 February 2011

Just Remember the Name...

Sadly, few will remember the embarrassing Pom exploits we had yesterday (except for people who have an overobsession with being nit-picky and writing essays on fielding errors) but that's how things are. People rarely remember the things they should and quite often remember things they shouldn't because what we shouldn't is almost always so darn interesting...
Okay, I'm wandering away there, but it might be due to the last stage of fever that's currently biting off the edges of my brain. But I like to think I'm still perfectly sane.

Anyhow, I was talking about remembering something that ALL of you should, and it's not the Pommie gobsmackery. It is the name of Holland's hero yesterday which I've been seeing shamelessly mispronounced and misspelled (one s or two ss? I really can't be bothered).

Calling him Tendo is the easiest way out and I'm okay with that because he uses it on his own website and it's the best way of referring to someone when you have no freakin idea how to spell or pronounce his name.
But when you say 'Ten-Doo-Skatay" then I'm just declaring war. Haha, yes, hide under your quilts you criminals known as Sanjay Manjrekar and Nasser Hussain. I'm coming over to give Dutch lessons till you look like orange bunny carrots.

And if the rest of you don't want to have Dutch lessons and look like orange bunny carrots, call him Tendo or "Tun-doo-s.." This is horrible. I realise there is no 'g' sound in English like the one we have in Dutch. Which means none of you can pronounce it. And I should forgive you all.

This must qualify as my worst post ever and it's because of a fever I think I have.


Just call him Tendo. He appreciates that.


10 comments:

Wes playforcountrynotforself said...

"ten Doescathe"*

Read this variant repeatedly and you will start to believe it ^^

*as seen on FB

Anonymous said...

I heart Tendo. Can't wait 'til he comes to Derby!

Wes playforcountrynotforself said...

Something came to my mind last night: how is he *actually* pronounced? Dutch pronunciation freaks me out to be honest... it's so fascinatingly mad!

Anonymous said...

I've always said "tenn doskarter" - does that make sense? No idea if it's right, though.

Tifosi Guy said...

How hard can it get - Doeschate ! Doh-es-ska-te :-D Sounds just about right, me thinks....

Calling him Tendo is jsut NOT right. Why not simply call him Ryan ?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you don't like Tendo? Well, I have to concede with my fellow Dutch speaker - Ryan it is :-)

sunny said...

Dutch pronunciation; maddening isn't it? It's mainly got to do with the 'g' we have the sound of which doesn't get used anywhere in the English language (as far as I know or have heard of).

Hmmmm...how do I explain this, because the 'ch' in Tendo's name is the same as our Dutch 'g'. It's a bit like in 'schadenfreude' but only a bit. So it goes like Tun Doos-'g'-aa( I'm confused again so I'll say the sound you make when the dentist says 'open your mouth'-aa)-ter (r not pronounced of course).
I think that's the only way I can explain it..I hope it makes a bit sense. :)

No Tifosy, Ryan is too simple. With a name like Ten Doeschate, he becomes more kind of memorable; weird long names do that trick.

Wes playforcountrynotforself said...

Well if the "g" is pronounced as in groeten then I pretty much know how it sounds. Somewhere between the two German "ch"s methinks. But the way you describe it is closer to the soft one. The question was more less if the "sch" is pulled together for the German "sh"-sound or not, and obviously it is not. The ending as well as "oe" sound about the same as over here. Thanks for the enlightenment :)

Wes playforcountrynotforself said...

Pardon, the "oe" is obviously different, too. As in groeten as well *lightbulb*

sunny said...

You're right. The 'g' and 'oe' are both as in groeten. :)